Are you a mature single? Then there’s a good chance that you haven’t been on a date in a while. For many of us senior singletons, we’ve spent long chunks of our lives, happily (or otherwise) cocooned in a marriage or partnership. So, when we find ourselves single once more – either by choice, bereavement or separation – it can be tough to get back into the swing of things.
Welcome back to the single life my friend, a lot has changed. Gone are the days of hoping to bump into somebody special, tokens of love, flowers and romantic letters. Now is the age of cyber winks, emoticon smiles and emails of interest.
Does it sound daunting? Fear not, online dating has shed the stigma it was once consumed by and is now a respectable and widely used tool utilised by young and old alike to find that special someone.
Perhaps you’ve tried meeting people in the ‘real world’ to no avail and now you’re curious about online dating, or maybe someone close to you has suggested putting yourself out there on the internet, but you’re still not sure if mature dating is for you? Let’s take a look at the Pros and Cons of Mature Online Dating to see if the love of your life is a few simple clicks away…
Pros of Online Dating for the Mature Single
- Online dating websites provide you with hundreds of potential partners, each with an in-depth profile. Everything you need to know about a person is laid out right there for you to peruse at your pleasure, in the comfort of your own home!There’s no need to wander blindly into an awkward first date set-up, you can take your time to scrutinise their photos instead of stealing awkward glances in person. You can read all about the person’s preferences, likes, dislikes, hobbies, interests, beliefs, dreams and desires to your heart’s content allowing yourself time to digest the information and consider your compatibility without being put on the spot in a face-to-face situation. This voyeuristic approach to dating allows you to assess a person in private before deciding whether or not you’d like to date them – easy peasy and stress-free!
- Online dating is similar to window shopping – but at home. There are so many websites to choose from, and on each site, tens of thousands of local fellow singles looking for love.You can put the kettle on, kick back and spend hours scrolling through the abundance of potential matches.Only the internet can provide you with such a vast variety of people to choose from – can you imagine meeting one plausible dateable singleton at the supermarket, let alone hundreds? It just doesn’t happen. But online dating opens up the possibilities and allows you a sneak peek into the people’s lives you would never normally have the chance to meet. Oh, and it’s perfectly safe, too!
- You can be specific about your wants and needs. This is incredibly liberating for many of us as the internet gives us a screen to hide behind, yet it allows us to be truthful about what we are looking for.Can you imagine going on a first date with a stranger and laying down exactly what you expect from a partner? No, because it’s weird! Yet online profiles allow you to do just that, and it’s perfectly normal. That way, everyone knows where they stand, what each other wants, and whether or not they are looking for similar things. This saves so much time, effort and feelings by eliminating the guesswork and preventing crossed wires.
- What you see is what you get – once you’ve found someone you like, exchanged a few emails and phone calls, you are ready for your first date.Unlike conventional first dates, online dating ensures that you already know a lot about the other person – and then you, so you already know that there’s an attraction, you have things in common and you both like each other! This takes a lot of the typical first date pressure off and allows you to relax and actually enjoy your self rather than being a jittery bag of nerves!
- You are in control of your dating experience. You can tailor your profile to highlight the best of you, you determine who you connect with and you decide who you don’t wish to date. Say goodbye to relying on friends or family setting you up on blind dates – you decide who is worthy of your time!